During one of these endeavors he found some McCormick spices that didn't have an expiration date. They also had a different label than all of our others. They had came from my late Grandma's house as I took anything and everything she had left in her kitchen. I didn't know what it was or what to do with it, but I would figure that out later. After a bit of research he discovered that, that label design hadn't been used since 1998. Turns out we had some curry that was now legally an adult!
![]() |
| Not quite this ancient, but close! |
Needless to say we threw them all out and purchased new ones. Were they dangerous? Probably not. But spices can lose their potency and become basically colorful garnish if they go past their due date. This may sound harsh, but most spices should be replaced every 6 months to a year. Chances are they were already 6 months past their picked date by the time you receive them. This goes even more for ground spices which have already lost some of their luster at when they hit the store. All the more reason to find good ways to use it!
So let's start at the beginning. You would probably be hard pressed to find a household that doesn't have at least salt and pepper. They're included in almost any recipe you can find. Even in baking you usually add a pinch of salt to the mix.
What's important to remember here is that everything should be salted. I mean everything! And salt from the beginning through the end. Salt your pasta water, your chicken, your rice water, your oatmeal! At the end add more if needed, but adding throughout the cooking process infuses more flavors into your cooking. Don't worry about getting any fancy Himalayan or Hawaiian or whatever salts unless you are going to be using them for the finished product. Using them during the cooking process is just a waste of money. For most recipes simple kosher salt will do the job!
Pepper becomes infinitely better when it is fresh ground. So through out that little tin box you've had for years and get whole peppers. You can even purchase them in the grinder so you don't have to get an extra gadget. It makes all the difference I promise!
What else is there?
Beyond salt and pepper there is a whole other world of spices to enjoy! But we will start simple and I will tell you the most common spices that you will see in recipes and that every kitchen should have on hand.
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
- Cumin
- Cinnamon
- Oregano
- Paprika
These will get you through most basic recipes you will find. Even if you think you don't like the taste of something (ie: garlic) the spice is different than the real version and will help to add flavor so don't skip it!
There's more!
Do you already have the basics and are looking for more things you might need to have on hand to have a fully stocked spice rack? Never fear! Here are some more great suggestions you will find in many, many recipes.
- Rosemary
- Thyme
- Basil
- Bay Leaves
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Curry
- Ground Mustard
- All-Spice
- Nutmeg
Don't forget about spice blends! If you have the cash or don't want to mess with figuring out what spices go together, spice blends are a great option. These are particularly useful for seasoning different meats or different food flavors.
- Lemon Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Cajun Seasoning
- Greek Seasoning
- Steak Rubs
- Poultry Seasoning
This list could go on for days! Now I wouldn't recommend running out and buying all of these seasonings at once because that can get really pricey, really fast. What I like to do is buy one or two every time I go shopping to slowly build up the collection.
What do I do with them now?
I once read that you should be familiar with all of your spices to really understand what goes together and when to use them. I took that as I should open up every spice jar and take a whiff. As goofy as that sounds it was actually super helpful! I learned what was spicy and what was earthy and what had a sweet smell to it. It helps you figure out how to start creating dishes on your own.
Here's a helpful info graphic that sort of runs down what should be used with what.
![]() |
| Source |
Hopefully, you were able to learn something today and become a little bit less intimidated by your kitchen's spice rack. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions let me know!
Made with Love,
Hayley



No comments:
Post a Comment